Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Casualty progress report

I haven't blogged about this for a while, because it's been a bit frustrating.

It took me a long, long time to produce story proposals which the team down in Bristol were happy with. I pitched about ten stories altogether (or variations on stories) over a period of about a month, packaged in three different proposals for how to deal with my particular episode.

By the time we had all agreed on which two guest stories I would use (and how they would fit into the the overall structure and mesh with the ongoing serial elements), we were about three weeks behind schedule. And the thing about the Casualty schedule is that the end date doesn't change - they will be shooting this episode from the 14th to the 27th of June, and they will be broadcasting it on 20th September. So, three weeks behind is not a good place to be.

But we did finally agree, and I sat down to write the Treatment. It seemed to go quite well, and I sent it off just before Easter.

So, yesterday I went down to Bristol to discuss the medical aspects of the script with my ever so friendly and helpful Emergency Medicine Doc. And to find out what they thought of the Treatment.

The medicine was good - no major changes required to what I was proposing.

And the news on the Treatment was even better. I haven't got the detailed notes back yet, but they're all agreed that I can go straight to the first draft of the screenplay rather than produce another version of the treatment (which is the norm). This means that we are almost back on schedule. Or, rather, we will be if I can produce the script on time.

Better get on with it.

No comments: