Friday 19 May 2006

Doctors - Scene by Scene

I've been working on a "Scene by Scene" for the good folks at Doctors.

Rather than wait for one of my story ideas to match a serial element (which could take a long time), I've been encouraged to take one or two of them and create a full episode without serial content - what they call a "life-saver" (presumably because when they find themselves running behind schedule, they can slot one of these in without worrying about the impact on the overall storyline).

So, I've taken two stories and combined them into one. I'm using a regular character who has yet to appear on screen, so it's been a bit of a challenge because I don't really feel I know him, despite having been given some biographical info.

I think it's going OK, but a scene by scene description really does kill any drama and subtlety in the story. It makes the whole thing plod. I've got the first draft sorted, but now I've got to attempt to inject some life into the thing.

It's worth it though. If they like this, then the next stage is an actual commission. I can only hope...

No comments: